2017 Ashadha Purnima
|When is Ashadha Purnima in 2017|
|08 July, 2017 (Ashadha)|
|Panchang for Ashadha Purnima|
|Choghadiya Muhurat on Ashadha Purnima|
What is Ashadha Purnima?
Full Moon day or Purnima that occurs in the Hindu month Ashadha is known as Ashadha Purnima. On this auspicious occasion, people worship Lord Vishnu and observe Gopadam Vrat. Ashadha Purnima is also celebrated as Guru Purunima, a full moon day when people seek blessings of their Guru or mentors.
Significance of Ashadha Purnima
According to Lunisolar calendar or Purnimanta Panchang, each month is named on the full moon date based on the constellation in which the Moon is positioned. It is believed that in Ashadha month, on the full moon day, the Moon takes position in Purvashada or Uttarashada Nakshatra. If on the Full moon date of Ashada month, the Moon is in Uttarashada nakshatra, then that Purnima is considered as very auspicious and fortunate for seeking prosperity and abundance.
Moreover, on Ashadha Purnima, people observe Gopadam Vrat and offer special prayers to Lord Vishnu. It is said that Gopadm Vrat is very fruitful and bestows all kinds of blessings and happiness to the fast observer.
As the day is celebrated as Guru Purnima, the day has great significance in Hindu and Buddhist culture. On this day, people seek blessings of their Guru and seek their teachings.
History and Legends associated with Ashadha Purnima
According to Hindu texts, the greatest sage and author of the epic Mahabharata, Maharishi Krishna Dwaipayana Vyasa or popularly known as Ved Vyas was born on the day of Ashadha Shukla Pakhsa Purnima. That is why the day is also known as Vyas Purnima. In Buddhist culture, it is believed that on this day, approximately 2500 years ago, Lord Buddha preached his first sermon at Sarnath.
Rituals to Perform Gopadam Vrat on Ashadha Purnima
As per Hindu texts, there are special rituals for observing Ashadha Purnima Gopadam Vrat. Here are the rituals that should be performed.
- Wake up early in the morning, take a bath and wear clean clothes.
- Offer prayer or recite the name of Lord Vishnu throughout the day. One may also read or listen to Satyanarayan Katha for great benefits.
- During meditation, think of the image of chaturbhuja Vishnu sitting on Garudha Vahan along with his wife, Goddess Lakhsmi.
- Earthen lamps or Diyas, essence, flowers and Dhup should be offered to Lord Vishnu.
- After praying to Lord Vishnu, devotees should feed Brahmans or needy people. One should also do charitable works as per one’s convenience.
- Devotees should wear yellow clothes and distribute grains and sweets as charity.
- It is said that by offering prayers to Goddess Lakshami under the Peepal Tree in the morning of Ashadha Purnima, one may gain wealth and prosperity in life.
- One who observes Gopadam Vrat should worship Cows and feed them. They should apply Tilak on the head of the cow and seek its blessings.
Benefits of Puja and Observing Gopadam Vrat on Ashadha Purnima
- It is believed that if you keep Gopadam Vrat with full dedication and follow all the rituals correctly then you may seek the blessing of Lord Vishnu and attain all the worldly pleasures. Also, observing Gopadam fast fulfills all the desires of devotees and blesses them with salvation at the end of life.
- The natives born under Uttarashadha or Purvashadha should do charity or meditation on the Ashadha Purnima. Doing it may help them to gain spiritual benefits and solace at every aspect of their life.
- Performing Saraswati Puja on Ashadha Purnima may yield great benefits and fruits for students and those who are learning any skill.
Poornima fasting throughout the year
According to the Hindu calendar which starts from Chaitra month (March-April), the full moon that falls throughout the year is as follows: -
|S.N.||Hindu Month||Purnima Vrat Name||Purnima Other Names or Same Day Festivals|
|1||Chaitra||Chaitra Purnima||Hanuman Jayanti|
|2||Vaishakha||Vaishakha Purnima||Buddha Purnima, Kurma Jayanti|
|3||Jyeshtha||Jyeshtha Purnima||Vat Purnima Vrat|
|4||Ashadha||Ashadha Purnima||Guru Purnima, Vyasa Puja|
|5||Shravana||Shravana Purnima||Raksha Bandhan, Gayatri Jayanti|
|6||Bhadrapada||Bhadrapada Purnima||Purnima Shraddha, Pitrupaksha Begin|
|7||Ashwin||Ashwin Purnima||Sharad Purnima, Kojagara Puja|
|8||Kartika||Kartika Purnima||Dev Diwali|
|9||Margashirsha||Margashirsha Purnima||Dattatreya Jayanti|
|10||Paush||Paush Purnima||Shakambhari Purnima|
|11||Magha||Magha Purnima||Guru Ravidas Jayanti|
|12||Phalguna||Phalguna Purnima||Holika Dahan, Vasanta Purnima|