2021 Kurma Jayanti
|When is Kurma Jayanti in 2021|
|26 May, 2021 (Vaishakha)|
|Panchang for Kurma Jayanti|
|Choghadiya Muhurat on Kurma Jayanti|
Kurma Jayanti (Shri Koorma Jayanti) - Observance and Significance
About Kurma Jayanti
Kurma Jayanti or Shri Koorma Jayanti is celebrated to commemorate the birth of Lord Vishnu in his incarnated form of a tortoise. In a literal sense, the word Kurma means a Tortoise in Sanskrit. As per the Hindu scriptures, it is believed that Lord Vishnu appeared in the form of a tortoise to lift the Mandarachal mountain during the Samudra Manthan.
When is Kurma Jayanti 2021?
As per the Hindu calendar 2021, Kurma Jayanti takes place in the Vaisakh month during the Shukla Paksha and on the full moon day (Purnima). According to the Gregorian calendar2021, the day is observed either in the month of June or May.
Visit choghadiya for Kurma Jayanti puja muhurta.
What are The Rituals of Kurma Jayanti?
- Similar to other Hindu festivals, taking a holy bath before sunrise on this day is regarded as sacred.
- After taking the bath, the devotees wear fresh and tidy puja vastra (worship clothing).
- Devotees worship and offer prayers to Lord Visnu by offering Chandan, tulsi leaves, kumkum, incense sticks, flowers and sweets to the deity.
- Observing a fast of Shri Koorma Jayanti is considered highly significant. So, the devotees observe a silent vow or a strict Kurma Jayanti fast on this particular day.
- The devotees who observe fast abstain themselves from consuming pulses or cereals and are only allowed to consume milk products and fruits.
- During the observance of Kurma Jayanti Vrat, the observers are restricted to perform any kind of sinful or evil deed and are also restricted to speak lies.
- The observers are not allowed to sleep during the night. They must spend their entire time reciting Mantras in order to please Lord Vishnu.
- Reciting of ‘Vishnu Sahasranama’ is considered as highly auspicious.
- Once all the rituals are finished, devotees perform aarti.
- Performing charity on the eve of Kurma Jayanti is regarded as highly rewarding. The observer should donate food, clothes, and money to the Brahmins.
What is The Significance of Kurma Jayanti?
Kurma Jayanti is one of the most auspicious and significant festivals for Hindu people. It is believed that without the assistance of Lord Vishnu by taking the form of Kurma, Ksheersagara would not have been completed. Lord Vishnu emerged as a giant Kurma (tortoise) and held the Mandrachal mountain on his back. Thus, the day of Kurma Jayanti possesses great religious significance. The day is believed to be auspicious for commencement of any sort of construction works..
How to Celebrate Kurma Jayanti?
Devotees celebrate the day of Kurma Jayanti with utmost dedication and fervor. On this particular day, special ceremonies and pujas are organized in various Lord Vishnu temples or at the place of worship. Grand celebrations can be witnessed in Andhra Pradesh in ‘Sri Kurman Sri Kurmanadha Swami Temple dedicated to Lord Kurma.