Prabodhini Ekadashi is an auspicious day to worship Lord Vishnu. It falls on the eleventh day of the Shukla paksha in the month of Kartik. It is also known as 'Vishnu Prabodhini', 'Dev Uthi Ekadashi', Devutthana Ekadashi or Dev Prabodhini Ekadashi.
Devotees observe fast and worship Lord Vishnu to wash away their sins. This auspicious day has a profound significance. Let's know about its religious importance, rituals, and Ekadashi Vrat Katha.
About The Haribodhani Ekadashi Vrat
On this auspicious day, the Tulasi Vivah ceremony is performed, and the Chaturmas period comes to an end. According to Hindu scriptures during Chaturmas Lord Vishnu is supposed to sleep (Yoga Nidra). Shri Hari goes to sleep on 'Shayani Ekadashi' and wakes up on Hari Prabodhini Ekadashi.
Weddings are not allowed during Chaturmas when Lord Vishnu is sleeping. Dev Prabodhini Ekadashi marks the beginning of an auspicious time when weddings can be done. That is why we also call it Dev Uthi Ekadashi. Also, the famous PandarPur Yatra ends on this sacred day. And a month-long Pushkar Fair begins from this day.
Prabodhini Ekadashi Vrat Katha
Every festival and celebration has a story attached to it. Let's know the Prabodhini Ekadashi story to understand the significance this day carries.
According to mythology, Lord Vishnu was very indisciplined in his sleeping patterns. Sometimes he used to sleep for many days and sometimes he remained awakened for months. So Goddess Laxmi visited Lord Vishnu and complained to him regarding it.
Also, when Lord Vishnu goes to sleep, Lord Shiva, Brahma, and other saints had to wait for many days and sometimes for months to meet him. Demons took advantage of this situation, and they started troubling innocent human beings on Earth.
Demons also spread Adharma on Earth and deprived the knowledge of Vedas. Goddess Laxmi asked Lord Vishnu to solve these issues as soon as possible. Lord Vishnu fought for several days with demon Shankhayan and bought the Vedas back.
After this incident, Lord Vishnu started sleeping with a fixed duration. His sleep started from Ashadha Shuddhha Ekadashi.
How To Celebrate Kartik Shukla Ekadashi?
There are rituals attached to the Dev Prabodhini Ekadashi Vrat Vidhi. Devotees worship Lord Vishnu and follow these rituals devotionally.
- On this sacred day, people wake up early in the morning and observe fast throughout the day. Sanyasis and devotees observe a rigorous fast.
- It is said that Lord Vishnu married to Tulsi plant on this day. After the bath, you can also perform marriage ritual of Tulasi with Shaligram (A divine stone which represents Lord Vishnu)
- You should visit Lord Vishnu or Krishna's temple early in the morning and offer prayers
- You can also pray Lord Vishnu at home. Worship Shri Hari's idol and offer him sandalwood, flowers, fruits, and dhoop.
- Worship Lord Vishnu with energized Vishnu Yantra and chant Vishnu Sahastra mantra.
- As described in Bhagavat Purana, You can also chant "Om Namo Bhagavate Vasu Devay." This is a compelling mantra to please Lord Vishnu.
- You can also simply meditate and chant Hare Krishna Maha Mantra with Tulasi bead
- Worship Lord Vishnu with Vishnu Sahastra mantra (Thousand names of Lord Vishnu). It has purifying effects on the mind and body.
- Also, you can perform Vishnu Sahastra puja with qualified Brahmins. It includes Puja of Goddess Laxmi and Vishnu.
- You can also wear Teen Mukhi and Nineteen Mukhi Rudraksha beads. It is believed that Lord Vishnu rules these beads. It purifies your soul and strengthens your will power.
- Donate clothes, grains, pitchers filled with water to please Lord Vishnu on this promising day.
Significance of Gannaa Gyaras or Ganna Ekadashi
Lord Brahma narrated the significance of this great day to sage Narada. 'Skanda Purana' elaborately recites the greatness of Prabodhini Ekadashi. It marks the beginning of all the auspicious ceremonies like marriage, naming a newborn child or Griha Pravesh.
Devotees pray Lord Vishnu to wash away their sins. it is believed observing fast on Deva Uthi Agyaras can help attain salvation after death.
Importance of Hari Prabodhini Ekadashi to Farming Communities
There is a profound importance of this day to farming communities. Dev Prabodhini Ekadashi celebrates the begging of Sugarcane harvest all over the country. Farmers celebrate this day with special Puja, they cut a few sugarcane steaks and donate it to Brahmin.
With cow dung and butter, farmers create beautiful idols of Lord Vishnu and Goddess Laxmi. They also organize Havan and then share sugar canes as Prasad.
A Concluding Thought
The purpose of fasting on Ekadashi is to burn all our sins- we did consciously or unconsciously. Every Ekadasi holds religious importance in our culture. Know the dates of monthly Ekadashi through the links below
Lord Vishnu is known as the provider. He grants us with luck and prosperity. Worship him on this divine day and awaken your spiritual side. May Lord Vishnu bless you with wisdom and peace on this Dev Prabodhini Ekadashi.