Monday fast is an auspicious occasion to worship merciful Lord Shiva and ask his blessings. Devotees observe fast throughout the day to expand their devotional services.
Also, there is astrological and religious importance attached to this day. 16 Monday fast is one of the most famous Vrat in Hinduism devoted to Lord Shiva.
Moreover, we believe that Lord Shiva is the greatest Lord, and observing fast over 16 continuous Mondays, also termed as solah som var vrat, can bestow many advantages to followers.
Monday Puja Vidhi
- As per the Monday fast procedure, the fast can be started on any of the auspicious months.
- Fast should be kept for five consecutive years or 16 Monday with full faith and determination.
- The person doing Upvas must get up early in the morning and complete his routine work.
- He should bath with pure water, and as per the Monday fast rule, one should add black Til-Sesame seeds in this water.
- After the bath, Ganga Jal should be sprinkled in the house to purify the atmosphere
- Set an idol or picture of Lord Shiva in a peaceful corner of North-East direction of the house
- Chant the mantra "ऊँ नम: शिवाय: (Om Namah Shivay) to worship Lord Shiva.
- Take resolution of the fast in front of Lord Shiva and Goddess Parvati
- While taking the resolution, this mantra should be chanted -
‘मम क्षेमस्थैर्यविजयारोग्यैश्वर्याभिवृद्धयर्थं सोमव्रतं करिष्ये
- Worship Lord Shiva with white flowers, sandalwood powder, rice, Panchamrit, betel nuts, and holy water.
- After the resolution, one should read Monday vrat Katha.
Monday Vrat Katha
As per the Monday fast rules, after taking a resolution, one should read the Somvar Vrat Katha. Lord Shiva is the supreme God of Hindu. Let me share the brief of the story which devotees read on this divine day.
A moneylender and his wife lived a pious and devoted life. But they did not have children; they prayed the Lord to bless them with a child. Lord Shiva bestowed them with a child. Sadly, the child had only 12 years of life. And his father already knew this.
This boy lived a profoundly devoted and austere life. In his twelfth year, the boy went to Kashi to complete his education. On the way, he married a girl and became a groom.
After the wedding, the boy went to Kashi and finished his education. As his fortune came to a close, one day abruptly, he faced his death. Lord Shiva rewarded the devotion of the family and hence bestowed the boy with a long life. The boy came home with the bride he wedded, and all of them lived happily after that.
Also See: Shubh Marriage Muhurat in 2020
Method of Udyapan of Monday Fast
- According to Monday Puja Vidhi, after the resolution and Vrat Katha, a devotee should do Aarati.
- Offer A Bhog and pray Shiva with Deep, incense stick and Ardhya.
- Repeat this Monday fast procedure on every fast day till you finish your Solah Soma var Vrat
- After the last fast of Solah Soom Var, Udyapan of Monday fast begins
- On the day of udyapan, a devotee should give Kheer and Puri to brahmins and children
- One should give donations as per the capacity on this pious day
- On Sunset time, worshipping Shiva at Pradosh Kaal is considered to be very pleasing for Lord Shiva
Monday Vrat Food
Solah Somavr Vrat is a very simple kind of observance. When a pure-hearted devotee observes a fast and worships Bholenath, God blesses him with all he asked for! Certain food is prohibited on this sacred day.
- You can eat fruits, fresh vegetables, meals made with sabudana (sago) and sendha namak, milk and milk products like curd, buttermilk during the fast.
- A few people eat just one meal a day. Having fresh milk and fruits are necessary for them
- It is required to withdraw foods prepared with salt, garlic, and onions.
- To remain fit during the fast, you must drink water and stay hydrated. Also, use dry fruits and nuts in your fasting meals
- Eating non-veg foods (meat, fish egg, etc.), mushroom, intoxicants (tobacco and liquor), and beverages (tea, coffee, cola, and other energy drinks) must be avoided.
Also See: Online Puja Services By mPanchang
Mythological Significance of Monday Vrat
According to our scriptures, Moon married all the 27 daughters of Daksha but became fond of one of them, Rohini, and started remaining close to only Rohini. Other wives became upset and complained about it.
The furious Daksha cursed Moon, and Moon started declining in the form. Moon realized his mistake, and rushed to Lord Shiva, for mercy. Shiva blessed him, and Moon began to increase in size. From then onwards, it remained waxing and waning, on consecutive fortnights.
Lord Shiva is known for his mercy and innocence. Monday fast on Sawan month can yield supreme results, as Sawan is known as Shiva's month.
Also See: Savan Somvar Puja Vidhi in Hindi
Monday Fast Benefits
Lord Shiva pleases with the observance of Somavar Vrat or 16 Monday fast and bestows the following blessings:
- Help attain wisdom-Shiva can bless us with the ultimate wisdom with this sacred fast. Devotees (Shaiva Panthi especially) observe a strict fast on this day for spiritual progress.
- Gain control over emotions and mind-Fasting can, and living a simple life makes us learn about how to control our senses.
- Monday Fasting For Marriage - As per our region, Monday fasting for husband - observing Solah Som Var Vrat can bless a compatible life partner to women
- Blessings of Moon-Shiva is known as the Moon God, fasting on Monday can bestow Moon energies to the devotee. Moon happens to be a ruler of our emotional side.
- So a rightly placed Moon, along with the Monday fast, can give fulfilling results. Strengthen your Moon 's place in the birth chart with this scared Vrat
- Do you know the placement of Moon in your horoscope? Monday Fast Reduces the effects of a poorly placed Moon, or debilitated Moon in your birth chart.
Pleasing this Moon God is easy with the help of Monday fasts. Don’t miss the divine chance of Solah Somvar Vrat to worship the Supreme Lord! May Bholenath bless you with a suitable life partner!