All About International Earth Day
What is Earth Day?
Earth Day is a global and worldwide event which is celebrated on April 22 every year. The event takes place in order to support the safety and protection of the environment and to encourage the participation of individuals in saving the planet.
The day aims to bring the attention of people towards the various issues prevailing on the Earth such as deteriorating climatic conditions, global warming, pollution, soil corruption, nuclear issues, depletion of resources, etc. It encourages individuals to take care of the planet Earth and its resources for a better future.
Also See : List of Upcoming Festivals
When is World Earth Day?
International Mother Earth Day was established in the year 2009 under Resolution A/RES/63/278 passed by the General Assembly of the United Nations. The plurinational state of Bolivia first introduced the resolution and then fifty member states of the United Nations endorsed it. Although Earth Day was finally inaugurated on the 22nd of April 2010. The founder of Earth Day was Senator Gaylord Nelson. Prior to this, Earth Day was first celebrated in the year 1970.
Why Do We Celebrate Earth Day?
The aim of celebrating the International Mother Earth Day is to remind ourselves and each one of us that Earth and its ecosystems are the base of our existence and the most crucial aspect of our lives and sustenance.
Also See: Remedies for Success in Education
How Do We Celebrate Earth Day?
There are plenty of ways in which we can celebrate Earth Day. It is a day when even the smallest step can help this world become a better place to live in. To care about the future of ourselves and the coming generations, it is important we understand the importance of taking care of the Earth and everything associated with it. So there are some ways in which we can contribute our part and celebrate this global event:
- First and foremost, we must engage ourselves in learning more about the Earth, its resources and the environment we live in. Thus, reading articles is the best way to do it. The more the knowledge, higher would be the responsibilities towards the safety of the environment.
- Secondly, the best way to celebrate is to become a member of an environmental group. By joining a local group, we can undertake a number of activities to protect the environment such as planting trees, hosting clean-ups, etc.
- Encourage others to perform day to day activities in the mosy eco-friendly manner possible. Teach people about the steps to take for a healthier and more natural environment. Motivating people to be part of the movement is the perfect way to celebrate the International Mother Earth Day.
- There are several places like schools, institutes, colleges, etc. where fairs are organized on Earth Day. There are also various earth day festival activities for kids and adults which are organized in the fair. We can visit the same and play our part in making this planet a better place to be.
- Going solar and organic is another means by which celebrating Earth Day can become helpful.
- Another way to celebrate this day is through ‘sharing economy’ or better called ‘collaborative consumption’. It aims at sharing the resources and services with each other so that there can be increased access to the essentials needed by everyone.
Also See: How to Do Yoga at Home
What is Earth Day Quiz?
Earth Day celebrations are usually carried on for an entire week popularly called Earth Week and there are several activities that take place during this week. One such activity is the Earth Day Quiz where individuals are invited to participate in the online quiz where they can test their knowledge about the Earth.
There are different sections in the quiz and individuals can attempt them in whatever order they like. The sections are like Clean Energy Quiz, Earth Day Environmental Literacy Quiz, Climate Change Quiz, Deforestation, and Biodiversity Quiz, Ocean and Plastic Pollution Quiz, Protect Our Species Quiz, etc.
It is a movement where individuals can participate and enhance their knowledge about the Earth and can also be an active part of the movement.
mPanchang wishes you a Happy Earth Day
See More : Interesting Trending News & Articles