2020 Varuthini Ekadashi
About Varuthini Ekadashi
Varuthini Ekadashi is also popular as Baruthani Ekadashi. On the day of Varuthini Ekadashi, devotees worship and offer prayers to Lord Vamana who is an incarnation of Lord Vishnu. In the literal sense, Varuthini means ‘protected’ and thus there is a belief that the devotees get protected from various negativities and evils by observing Viruthini Ekadashi.
Next Ekadashi: Importance of Mohini Ekadashi
When is Varuthini Ekadashi?
As per the Hindu calendar, Varuthini Ekadashi takes places in Vishakha month during Krishna Paksha on Ekadashi (eleventh day). According to the Gregorian calendar, the day falls in the month of April or May.
What is the Significance of Varuthini Ekadashi?
The significance of observing Varuthini Ekadashi is mentioned in several Puranas and has also been narrated by Lord Krishna. It is believed that the devotees can change their bad luck and attain salvation by observing this Ekadashi with complete rituals and fast. The devotees also attain prosperity, abundance and good luck in their lives by keeping a fast of Varuthini Ekadashi. By performing various acts of donations and charities on this particular day, the devotees get blessed with the divine blessings of their ancestors and the deities.
Aarti: Ekadashi Mata Aarti
What are the Rituals of Varuthini Ekadashi?
- On Varuthini Ekadashi, devotees wake up early morning and take a holy bath.
- Preparations are done to worship and offer prayers to Lord Vishnu.
- The idol of Lord Vishnu is worshipped with dhoop, sandalwood paste, fruits, incense sticks, and flowers in order to evoke the deity.
- The devotees refrain from consuming meals. In the milder form, they can consume one meal in a day comprising only the Satvik food.
- Varuthini Ekadashi fast initiates from Dashami where the devotees need to take their meals before dawn.
- The Vrat lasts for a period of 24 hours i.e. till the sunrise of the following Ekadashi day.
- The fast concludes after donating food, clothes and other essentials to a Brahmin.
- Devotees chant sacred mantras and recite songs in honor of the deity.
- People also read ‘Vishnu Sahastranaam’ to get bestowed with the divine blessings of Lord Vishnu.
- The devotees are required to listen to the Varuthini Ekadashi Vrat Story to accomplish their fast.
Always Chant: Lord Shri Vishnu Mantra
What is the Varuthini Ekadashi Vrat Katha (Story)?
According to Hindu mythology, the legend of the Varuthini Ekadashi states that once Lord Shiva was furious and he beheaded Lord Brahma’s fifth head. Subsequently, he was cursed but Lord Shiva got free from the curse and the sin after observing the fast and rituals of Varuthini Ekadashi. It is believed that the devotees get equivalent fruits by observing Varuthini Ekadashi as similar to a thousand years of penance.
To know about various other Ekadashis, Click here!