2020 Shattila Ekadashi
Shattila Ekadashi - Celebrations And Significance
Shattila Ekadashi, also famous as Tilda or Sattila Ekadashi, takes place on the 11th day during the Paush Month in the Krishna Paksha. According to the Gregorian calendar, this festival occurs either in the month of February or January.
Next Ekadashi: Jaya Ekadashi Vrat
The Significance of Shattila Ekadashi
The importance of Shattila Ekadashi is to make the people understand about the divine blessings and benefits associated with making donations and offering food to the needy and poor. Hence, the most significant part of this observance is to feed the poor and perform the puja of Lord Vishnu as by performing this the devotees get blessed and are bestowed with abundant wealth and happiness.
What is The Importance of Sesame Seeds on Shattila Ekadashi?
One of the most vital and significant aspects of the day is to take maximum use of sesame seeds (Til) in diverse ways:
- The seeds can be used for bathing by mixing them in the water used for the bathing purpose.
- Til can be used for preparing a paste which can be applied on the body before taking a bath.
- The devotees must offer Til to the sacred fire
- They can also donate the sesame seeds to the needy and poor
- People can also consume savories made up of til on the day of Shattila Ekadashi
Also See: What is Saphala Ekadashi?
Puja Vidhi of Shattila Ekadashi Vrat
- The devotees who observe a fast of Shattila Ekadashi must wake up early morning and should take a bath.
- They should clean the place of worship, decorate and adorn the altar and then install the statue, idol or the picture of deities Lord Vishnu and Lord Krishna.
- Devotees must offer prayers and worship the deities by performing pujas and reciting the hymns of Lord Krishna and readingVishnu Sahasranama.
- Prasad (sacred food), tulsi water, fruits, coconut, incense sticks, and flowers should be offered to the deities, and continuously chant the mantras and sing devotional songs.
- The same puja must be repeated on the next morning i.e. on Dwadashi and devotees can conclude their Shattila Ekadashi vrat after consuming the sacred food.
Also Read: Shri Krishna Chalisa
Fasting Rules of Shattila Ekadashi
- The fast of Shattila Ekadashi initiates at Ekadashi dawn and concludes on Dwadashi morning.
- The fast can only be concluded on the day of Dwadashi during Parana after performing puja rituals of Lord Vishnu.
- During the fast, devotees refrain themselves from consuming food and grains but few people consume sesame seeds on this particular day.
- In the milder form of the fast, devotees can also observe the fast by consuming fruits and milk in the day.
Vrat Story of Shattila Ekadashi
As per the legend and Hindu scriptures, there was a lady who had immense wealth. She used to donate a lot to poor people and usually perform huge charities to the needy. She used to distribute valuable products, clothes and a lot of money to them but never donate food to the poor. It is believed that among all the donations and charities, the most significant and divine one is the donation of food as it offers great merits to the one who perform donations. By seeing this, Lord Krishna decided to make the lady aware of this fact. He appeared in form of a beggar in front of that lady and asked for food. As expected, she denied giving food in donation and drove him away.
The beggar kept on asking for food again and again. As a result, the lady insulted Lord Krishna who was in the form of a beggar and in anger put a clay ball in the begging bowl instead of giving food. Seeing this, he thanked the lady and left the place. When the lady returned back to her home, she was surprised by observing that all the food which was there in the house converted into clay. Even whatever she purchased too also turned into clay only. Her health started deteriorating due to hunger. She prayed to the deity to save her from all this.
Listening to the request of the lady, Lord Krishna appeared in her dreams and reminded her of the day when she drove away that beggar and the way she insulted him by throwing the clay ball instead of food in his bowl. Lord Krishna made her understand that by doing such deed she invited her misfortune and this is why all such circumstances are taking place. He advised her to donate food to the poor and needy on the day of Shattila Ekadashi and also observe a strict fast of Shattila Ekadashi with complete devotion. The lady observed a fast as well as donated a lot of food to the needy and poor and as a result, she gained back all her wealth, good health and happiness in life.
Benefits of Shattila Ekadashi Vrat
- By observing the fast of Shattila Ekadashi with complete devotion, the devotees get bestowed with an abundance of wealth, good health and prosperity in all their births.
- By donating money, clothes, and food to the needy on the day of Shattila Ekadashi, the devotees get a lot of merits and they never run short of food or face loss of wealth and prosperity in their homes.
To know more about Ekadashi, Click here!