Pausha Putrada Ekadashi
Pausha Putrada Ekadashi - Significance & Observance
What is Putrada Ekadashi?
Putrada Ekadashi is one of the most significant and vital observances dedicated to the deity, Lord Vishnu. The rituals of this festival are usually performed by the married couples. Married women who want to have a baby boy observe a Putrada Ekadashi fast and also perform various rituals associated with the festival to seek the divine blessings of Lord Vishnu.
When is Pausha Putrada Ekadashi Celebrated?
Putrada Ekadashi is celebrated twice a year. The eleventh tithi of every Hindu month according to the Hindu lunar calendar is called as the Ekadashi. The first Putrada Ekadashi is called as Pausha Putrada Ekadashi or Paush Shukla Putrada Ekadashi which is celebrated either in January or December month according to the Gregorian calendar. And the second Putrada Ekadashi is called as Shravana Putrada Ekadashi which falls in the month of August or July as per the calendar year.
What is Pausha Putrada Ekadashi Vrat Katha?
Pausha Putrada Ekadashi Vrat can be concluded only after listening to the Vrat Katha. Following is the Pausha Putrada Ekadashi story:
As per the legend, the king of Bhadravati named Suketu Man and his queen Habiya were not happy and remain depressed as they did not have any boy child. They were too worried thinking about the Shradh rituals as who would perform the Shradh rituals after their death to make their souls rest in peace. In such frustration, the King left his kingdom and all his luxuries and went to the dense forests. After facing many hardships and wandering for so many days, on the day of Paush Ekadashi, he reached the ashram of few sages residing on the bank of Mansarovar. The sages after knowing about the King, suggested him, to observe a Pausha Ekadashi fast to get blessed with a son. By following the advice of the learned sages, Suketu Man went back to the Kingdom and along with his queen observed a strict fast of Pausha Ekadashi. Soon, both of them were blessed with a male child by the divine blessings and grace of Lord Vishnu.
Pausha Putrada Ekadashi Puja Vidhi
Every ritual of fast is required to be performed and observed with an adequate vidhi in order to seek maximum benefits out of it. Following is the puja vidhi of Pausha Putrada Ekadashi:
- The devotees are required to wake up early morning and take a bath
- Observers are required to recite the Vishnu Sahasranama Stotram
- The fast is observed for a period of complete 24 hours (In a milder version of the fast, the devotees can also observe a partial fast)
- The observers must refrain themselves from consuming all type of grains and rice too.
- If the couple has progeny issues or they do not have any child then both the wife as well as the husband must fast together and should worship Lord Vishnu jointly.
- They must devote their time and attention in worshipping Lord Vishnu, performing bhajan kirtan and must also observe a night vigil
- Special Puja is required to be performed for worshipping deity Vishnu
- The observers must visit a nearby temple of Lord Krishna or Lord Vishnu and offer sacred food (Prasad) to the idols of the deities
- All the puja and rituals must be concluded with Aarti of Lord Vishnu.
Mantra for the Pausha Putrada Ekadashi
The following Mantras are recited while observing Pausha Putrada Ekadashi puja and fast:
- Om Namo Bhagavate Vasudevaya Mantra
- Vishnu Sahasranama Stotram
- Vishnu Ashtothram
To know more about Ekadashi, Click here!