2020 Gauri Teej
Gauri Tritiya Festivals, Gauri Teej celebrated in Magh month
Gaur Teej is one of the significant festivals of Hindus that is celebrated by Indian women with great devotion. The festival is also known as Gauri Tritiya. On this day, devotees honor Goddess Gauri and Lord Shiva by worshipping and observing fast. They seek prosperity, peace and harmony in prayers. Married women observe Gauri Teej Vrat to seek marital bliss and children while girls keep the fast to get their desired husband.
When is Gauri Teej?
Gauri Teej or Gauri Tritiya festival falls on the third day of the Shukla Paksha of Magh month (as per Hindu Calendar).
Why is Gauri Teej Celebrated?
Gauri Tritiya celebrates the love and marriage of Goddess Gauri and Lord Shiva. According to Hindu mythology, females who observe the fast on Gauri Teej are blessed by Goddess Gauri with marital bliss and children. Worshipping Devi Gauri aso brings good fortune into the life of people.
Gauri Teej Vrat Story
The story of Gauri Tritiya is associated with Goddess Sati, another name of Goddess Gauri. As per legends, Goddess Gauri took birth on the Earth as Devi Sati, the daughter of King Daksha. She loved Lord Shiva and to get him as her husband she performed a great penance. Pleased by her penance and devotion, Lord Shiva granted her wish and married her.
Significance of Gauri Teej
- On every Tritiya or third day of months, Gauri Teej is observed. However, according to Bhavishyapuran, Gauri Teej celebrated in the Magh month is more fruitful than other Tritiyas.
- One of the famous Gauri Tritya festivals is Gangaur Festival which is celebrated in the month of Chaitra on the third day of Shukla Paksha.
- Observing fasting on Gauri Teej bestows more blessing on the devotee. The Vrat done on the third day of Shukla Paksha of Magh month adds fortune to the women’s life.
- According to Bhavishya Puraan, Gauri Teej Vrat offers good luck, prosperity, wealth, happiness, children, beauty, longevity, health and heavenly pleasures.
- Devotees who worship on Gauri Teej receive blessings from Lord Shiva and Goddess Gauri and get all their desires fulfilled.
- According to Padam Puraan, offering charing to the poor on the day of Gauri Tritya is very fruitful.
- As per Dharma Sindhu, giving blanket, shoes, fruits, oil, cotton, grains, quilt etc. as charity brings prosperity and happiness to that person.
- On this day, married and unmarried women dress up beautifully and adorn themselves with flowers and jewellery. They apply Mehndi or Henna on their hands and legs. Later, they go to temple for worship.
Gauri Teej Puja Rituals
In order to seek blessings of Goddess Gauri, one should observe fasting with proper Hindu rituals. Here are the rituals that are performed on Gauri Teej.
- Women wake up early in the morning and take bath.
- Dress up with fine clothes.
- Observe Gauri Teej Vrat and take Sankalp to worship Goddess Gauri with complete devotion.
- Worship Lord Shiva and his whole family including Goddess Parvati. Lord Ganesh, Lord Kartikeya and bull, Nandi.
- Offer charity to poor and beggars.
Aarti Shri Amba Ji - Jai Ambe Gauri, Maiya Jai Shyama Gauri
Gauri Tritiya or Teej is a festival of love and marriage. By observing it, one may seek special blessings from Lord Shiva and Maa Gauri.