What is Choti Diwali?
Choti Diwali is a festival which is observed a day prior to the main Diwali festival. This day has a unique significance in every region and culture. While North India celebrates it as Choti Diwali, in South India this day is celebrated as Narak Chaturdashi. Some regions celebrate this day as Roop Chaudas.
When is Choti Diwali?
As per Hindu Panchang, Choti Diwali is celebrated on the Chaturdashi tithi in the month of Kartik.
What to Do on Choti Diwali?
There are various observances and rituals associated with the festival of Choti Diwali:
- The devotees should take oil bath before Sunrise to attain maximum blessings.
- This day is celebrated as Choti Diwali in Northern India and Tamil Deepavali in South India. In Maharashtra, devotees celebrate this day as Abhyang Snan.
- Men, women and children wear new clothes, decorate their homes and enjoy delicious delicacies with their family and friends.
- Women bedeck their entire home with beautiful earthen lamps in order to welcome abundance, prosperity and happiness in their homes.
- Fireworks and crackers is also an important aspect of this festival.
How to Do Choti Diwali Puja?
Choti Diwali is one of the prominent festivals that is celebrated on the 2nd day Of Diwali. The process of Choti Diwali Pooja is as follows:-
- Take wooden chowki and place a red cloth at the place of the Pooja.
- Place the picture of Lord Ganesh & Goddess Laxmi on the Chowki.
- Take a plate and put a red cloth first over it and then place a few silver coins on the same.
- Now, take a big plate, make swastika in the middle, put 11 diyas around and place a Diya with 4 faces in the middle of the plate.
- Now add sugar in the 11 diyas, or you can add makhana, kheel or murmura as well.
- Next important step is to light the 4 faced Diya first and then light other 11 diyas.
- Now take roli and place tilak on Goddess Laxmi & Saraswati and Lord Ganesha with the combination of red colour and rice.
- Put a combination of roli and rice in all diyas and then perform Ganesh Laxmi Panchopchar Puja.
- The next step is to light another diya and put it in the front of Goddess Laxmi’s picture.
- Light agarbatti & dhoop and place flowers & sweets in front of the Goddess Laxmi’s picture.
- Now barring the 7 diyas and one main 4 faced diya, take rest of the diyas and place them on the main entrance of the house.
- Recite Laxmi Mantra “Shreem Swaha” for bare minimum 108 times and thank Lord Ganesh & Goddess Laxmi for their blessings.
Wishes for Choti Diwali
Wish You All A Sparkling And Prosperous Choti Diwali
With Lots Of Blissful Moments Coming Your Way
Have A Wonderful Choti Diwali. Best Wishes…!!
What is the time for Choti Diwali Puja?
All the rituals as well as the Choti Diwali Puja hold immense significance when they are performed at the most relevant and fortunate time of the day. You can look for the Shubh Muhurat with Choghadiya for Choti Diwali Puja before commencing with the celebration and rituals.