2022 Chandra Darshan
What is Chandra Darshan?
Chandra Darshan or sighting of the moon is considered a fortunate event in Hinduism. It happens once a month in the Hindu calendar. Chandra Darshan is observed when the Moon becomes visible for the first time after new moon day or Amavasya. The time just after the sunset is regarded as the most favorable time for moon sighting or Chandra Darshan. Check the Choghadiya to find out the most auspicious time for Chandra Darshan.
The day is of religious significance to the Hindus. Devotees worship Lord Chandra on this day. They observe fast and offer special prayers to the Moon God. It is considered fortunate to look at the moon this day as it is believed to bring prosperity and usher in happiness.
What are the rituals of Chandra Darshan?
The following rituals are performed on the day of Chandra Darshan:
- Worship Moon God on this day. Find out the timings for Chandra Darshan from Choghadiya.
- Observe fast for pleasing Chandra Dev. Refrain from having food throughout the day.
- The fast concludes once the moon is visible and you have offered your prayers.
- Donating eatables and goods is an integral aspect of Chandra Darshan Festival. People usually donate sugar, rice and clothes to the Brahmins on this day.
- Women keep a fast for long and healthy lives of their spouses and seek to remove obstacles from their married lives.
If you follow each and every ritual devotedly and religiously worship Moon God on the eve of Chandra Darshan you shall be blessed with good fortune.
Look up the choghadiya for shubh muhurat here:
What is the significance of Chandra Darshan?
- Followers of Hinduism recognize Lord Moon or Chandra Dev as one of the highly regarded deities.
- It is also considered an important graha (planet) that influences life on planet earth.
- Moon is associated with good intentions, purity and wisdom. It is regarded as one of the most favorable planets, which influences the mind.
- When moon in favourably placed in the Janam Kundali of a native, it blesses him or her with a wholesome life.
- Moon God or Chandra Dev is regarded as the nurturer of plant and animal life.
- People worship their forefathers (Pitra puja) on this day and seek their blessings.
- Worshipping Moon God and fasting helps in purifying the mind from negative thoughts and evil intentions. Fasting is followed by chanting of sacred and powerful Chandra Mantras.
- On the day of Chandra Darshan, devotees meditate on the banks of Ganges for their spiritual growth. People practice full moon meditation to heal their minds.
- Observing a fast on the day of Chandra Darshan balances the elements of Kapha, Pitta and Vata in a human body. This helps in curing diseases and promoting sound health.
- Astrological Significance: Among all the Navagrahas, Moon is considered the most powerful and is believed to have a deep impact on human lives.
For Amavasya dates click here