Ahoi Ashtami Vrat showcases the eternal love of a mother towards her son. This Vrat is mostly prevalent in North India. It comes eight days before the Diwali festival and four days after Karwachauth Vrat. As it falls on the eighth day of the Lunar month, it is celebrated as Ahoi Ashtami.
There is a proper fasting process, Vrat Katha and Puja Vidhi attached to this divine day. Let's know everything one by one and celebrate this mother-son love bond with the highest devotion.
Ahoi Ashtami Vrat Date and Muhurat
October and November months are most celebrated months of Hindu Panchang. It all begins with the Karvachauth, then Diwali -the most significant five days of Hindu festival, to the Ahoi Ashtami- we celebrate a lot of festivals in these months.
This year Ahoi Ashtami Vrat falls on 21 st of October. Ashtami muhurat is of one hour and seventeen minutes.
- Ashtami Starts - 06:44 AM ( 21 October 2019)
- Ashtami Ends - 05:45 AM ( 22 October 2019)
Also See: Remedies For Children Welfare
Ahoi Ashtami Katha
Our culture spreads wisdom with every festival and its celebration. There is always some story or some message attached to the Vrat. Ahoi Vrat also carries an exciting story.
Once upon a time, a woman was living in a small village, and she had seven sons. On one beautiful day of Karthik month, she was digging the soil for some household chore, and by accident, her axe slipped from her hand. Unfortunately, it fell in the den of the lion, killing its sleeping cub on that very moment.
And soon her seven sons started dying one by one, and she lost all her sons at the end of the year. She was shattered and deeply sad. When she recollected the event -from accidentally killing the lion club to death of her all seven sons- someone advised her to pray Ahoi Bhagwati Mata.
As they say, when that old woman worshipped Ahoi Mata by drawing the face of a lion cub, kept fast for the entire day and dedicatedly prayed, all her seven sons came back to her life.
After knowing the Vrat Katha of Ahoi Ashtami, we must know the rituals attached to this Vrat and its fasting process.
Ahoi Ashtami Fasting Process
On this day, mothers keep fast for the wellbeing of their sons. From dawn to dusk mothers fast and pray Ahoi Mata. This fast is very similar to Karwachauth Vrat.
Mothers can not eat or drink anything for the entire day until the stars rise in the evening. Some may break their fast on the Moonrise. Moon's sighting is generally very late on these days so one can break the fast with the sighting of the stars.
Also See: Puja For Conceiving A Child
Rituals and Puja vidhi of Ahoi Ashtami
- On the day of Ahoi Ashtami, mothers wake up early before the sunrises. They must take a bath with pure water and visit the temple to offer her prayers. Now she should pledge(take Sankalp)and fast for the entire day to gain the wellbeing of her son.
- At the evening, before the Sunsets, mothers do preparations for the Puja. On a clean wall, they draw an image of Ahoi Bhagwati. Nowadays, women can also use Ahoi Mata's photo or idol. An earthen bowl of water is placed near to the picture.
- Also, a red thread is tied around the bowl, and its ends should be dipped in turmeric. Along with the coins, a plate of prasad is kept near to the Goddess. This plate traditionally contains -halwa, puri, jowar, chana etc.
- In some families, mothers make a silver coin or gold coin's garland. Whenever a new family member is added in their family, the mother adds a coin (silver /gold)in the garland. And this garland is used for generations to pray Ahoi Bhagavati Mata.
- All the women of the family join the Puja. An older woman of the family read the Vrat Katha. And then prasad is distributed among all the family members.
- The love of a mother is priceless. And on the day of Ahoi Ashtami when she fasts and prays for her son, Ahoi Bhagwati indeed blesses her son with all the worldly happiness and long -healthy life.
May Ahoi Mata bless your son with wellness and prosperity. May this Ahoi Ashtami Vrat be fruitful to all the mothers who are fasting dedicatedly for their son!